Richmond is situated 10 miles southwest of Central London and can be accessed by tube, train, bus, car, bike, boat and foot.
The River Thames runs for over 10 miles through the borough, linking Hampton Court Palace, Richmond Town Centre and Kew Gardens with London. Richmond rivals anywhere in London with its beautiful Royal Parks and open spaces, historic houses, theatres, museums, galleries, exhibits and town centres bursting with life.
Richmond upon Thames was named so in 1963 despite Twickenham having twice the population of the town of Richmond and also being the home of the Borough Council offices. The London Borough of Richmond upon Thames includes Richmond, Kew, Barnes, Ham, East Sheen, Teddington, Whitton, St Margarets, Strawberry Hill, Mortlake, Petersham, Twickenham, Hampton Hill and Hampton.
Richmond was formerly part of the ancient parish of Kingston upon Thames in the county of Surrey. In 1890 the town became a municipal borough, which was later extended to include Kew, Ham, Petersham and part of Mortlake (North Sheen). The municipal borough was abolished in 1965 when, as a result of boundary changes, Richmond was transferred to Greater London.
The borough is approximately half parkland – large areas of London’s open space fall within the borough boundaries, including Richmond Park, Kew Gardens, Bushy Park and Old Deer Park.