St Matthias Church is an Anglican church in Richmond, London. Built in the Victorian Gothic style in 1857, and described by Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner as “the grandest church in Richmond”, it has been designated a Grade II listed building by Historic England. The architect was George Gilbert Scott.
Part of the Richmond Team Ministry, a team of three Church of England churches in Richmond, St Matthias is located on the top of Richmond Hill, close to Richmond Park, on the 371 bus route.
About 30 years ago the Church interior was remodelled to provide our community with a versatile social and sacred space.
St. Matthias’ Church in Richmond, Surrey, was created as a chapel of ease to serve an expanding community in the mid-nineteenth century. It was to be built to the design of renowned Victorian Gothic Revival architect Sir George Gilbert Scott, and expectations were high. The church was described as a “striking object” before it was even complete: it was to be the town’s “pride and ornament” for generations to come (Dupuis). Inevitably however, the design would not please all. Shortly after its construction, the interior arrangements were deemed “somewhat chilling” and gained St. Matthias an unfortunately scathing review (The Ecclesiologist, 343) Continue Reading